This name changing business is a giant pain. You would think that it would be quite simple, esp since your marriage certificate would reflect your new name and that's a legal document, which should theoretically make name-changing easy. But no. It takes up much more time than you might ever imagine!
First, you have to turn in your marriage license, pay the fee to get a copy of the license, and wait for Los Angeles County to process your marriage license and send you official copies of it. That took about 3 weeks.
Once you've received the copies, you need to go to the Social Security Administration's website and fill out a form, find a local SSA office, hope that there isn't a giant line, and then give them the form + your official copy of the marriage license to have your SSN conform w/ your new name.
Then you've got to go to the DMV to let them know of your new name. Normally, a DMV visit might not be a giant headache, but w/ all the budget cuts, you DEFINITELY need to make an appt! I got lucky though and was able to make an appt a few days after my visit to the SSA. Otherwise, the next available appt was like 3 weeks AFTER my SSA visit. Hello. No more budget cuts please!!
My DMV visit was in conjunction w/ renewing my license anyway (since it would expire at the end of this year). Apparently, renewing your license requires you to take the written test AGAIN! um...DANG IT! The last time I read the DMV book was when I was 15 and trying to get my driver's permit. Initially, I thought I could get 6 out of 18 questions wrong. But then I re-read the instructions and realized I could only miss 3. uh-oh!!
That's sort of when the stress set in. I'm TERRIBLE at multiple choice tests. Somehow I always manage to trick myself into thinking a different answer is correct. *sigh* Luckily, I missed only 2 questions and passed! WOO!! =)
After the DMV visit, you've got to change your name on all your credit cards so that they match your new license. I wish that it was as easy as facebook where you type in a new name and you're done! But no. This requires telephoning each company and telling them of the change and asking them to send you brand new credit cards w/ the new name. Some of them argued with me and said I couldn't put my middle name on there! WHY NOT!! I WANT my middle name!!
Oh and if you're travelling, you've got to change your passport too! Otherwise, you aren't really you. It's so weird to have your identity questioned during this period of time!
After the passport changes (which of course coincided with the fee increase the US State Dept thinks is necessary), you need to change every legal document that might have your name on it. Like car title, health insurance, auto insurance, loans, home title, banks...
Now I completely understand why I kept seeing services who will change your name for you in exchange for a small fee! I thought the service was totally bogus and would be a waste of $$. But NOW I get it.
After all this name changing, taking time off of work, standing in lines, and listening to music while I'm on hold with the credit card companies, I think I might need another vacation!!
No comments:
Post a Comment