Monday, October 5, 2009

Random Facts About Russ #1

Even though Russ and I have been dating for 5+ years, there's still random facts that most people don't know about Russ.  So...here are some of them:

1.  Russ grew up in Northern Virginia.  He actually says he's from the DC area b/c when he says "Northern Virginia" people think he's from the deep South; but when he says "DC," people think he's from the North.  hehe.

2.  Russ is unbelievably smart -- he went to Thomas Jefferson HS for the smart people.  I actually don't even know what the full name of his HS is, but it's something along those lines.  We all just refer to it as "TJ."  Apparently, TJ was barred from competing for the best high school in the nation in the US News & World Report because all the kids had to be tested to get into it and because all the kids came from numerous counties across Northern Virginia.  Anyway, when TJ was finally allowed to compete in the US News & World Report thing (like 3 yrs ago), it's been #1 since then.  Sorry to all my Whitney HS friends...TJ beat you out!

3.  Russ continued his unbelievably smart-ness by going to UVA.  OK...I would like to think and say that UCLA is an awesome school, in the top 3 public universities in the nation and competes with UVA and Berkeley for the #1 spot.  But my sister and Russ constantly disagree with me and say that it's either UVA or Cal; never UCLA!  I guess we each should have pride in our schools, right?  Right!!!  UCLA ROCKS!  But UVA and Cal are close seconds!  ;)

Here's a picture of Russ turning into a Bruin...going to the football games!



4.  After majoring in something like international commerce and computer science, Russ did tech or IT consulting for PWC for a year.  Russ loved meeting all the people, in particular his good friends Mike Ro and Dave Raymond, but he hated working (not there, but working period).  Longing for the world of acting, Russ departed PWC and started doing theatre work in the "DC" area.  Russ even was part of a theatre group that toured the nation!  Super awesome.

5.  After leaving PWC and in the initial stages of his acting career, Russ lived like a nomad, with no real home except his parents' home in Haymarket, VA, which was a bit far from where all the acting action was.  He would occassionally spend nights with Jon Chiu, Hutch Putnam, Dave McCall, and various other great UVA friends who took sympathy on this nomad and housed him.  While he wasn't acting, Russ mastered the art of playing Mario Kart.  Actually, this skill developed during college and was perfected after college.  Now, while Russ and I are waiting at the airport, on the plane or wherever, we'll challenge each other in Tetris.  I usually win b/c I'm smarter (but it's probably b/c Russ let's me win to maintain peace in the household)!  ;)

6.  In January 2002, Russ moved to LA to pursue his acting career.  Russ can never remember when he moved to LA, so when you see him, try quizzing him about all of these details!  For a few years, Russ did lots of Lodestone readings and OPM shows across California.  That's where he met many of his great friends - James Huang, Teddy Chen Culver, Fred Wu, Nelson Eusebio, Hieu Ho and sooo many others that I can't remember them all.  (Actually, Russ met Hieu and Teddy while hanging out with the Propergander crowd, but that's a story I'll save for another blog.)

OK, the best part about OPM is that Russ played one character that was unbelievably memorable.  It was something about a retarded kid in the corner of the stage that would just yell "Father!"  Ask him about it.  ;)

On one of our first dates/meetings, Russ and I (along with Haeli and Keith N.) were at Hodori for some late night Korean BBQ (after a night filled with lots of partying - we were young then).  We sat down and were about to order when these 2 stick-skinny-hoochie-mama-Asian-chicks came hopping over to us and the following convo ensued:

hoochie-mama Asian chicks ("HMAC"):  "OMG!  You're Russ Riggins, aren't you?  We saw you in that show!"
RR:  [looks at them like "who are you?"]
RR:  "Um, Yes, I'm Russ and yes, I was in that show...."
JK:  [looks at them like, "who the f*** are these chicks?"]
HMAC:  "We totally know you!  We are _______."
RR:  "Um, OK.  That's great!"
RR:  [I don't really remember you guys...]
JK:  [continues the drunken stares and evil eye looks at them]
HMAC:  "OK.  Well, nice to see you Russ!  Oh!  Are you guys using this part of the table?  Can we sit here?"
RR:  "Um...OK."
JK:  [looks at them like, "NO!  Are you kidding me!  That's part of OUR table!!"]

Subsequently, thinking that I was being super quiet, but really, I was being my regular Taiwanese loud self, especially b/c I was drunk, I said to Russ, Haeli and Keith N., "OMG!  Who are those girls?!!??!  And look at how SHORT their skirts are!????  I can almost see up their butts!"  *sigh*  I'm positive that I made a lasting impression on Russ after that night.  hahaha.

That's it for the first session of random Russ facts!  Now, when you come to our wedding, you'll totally feel like you've known Russ for as long as I have (or as long as his parents have)!  hehehe.

***the lawyer disclaimer:  sorry if I messed up in the re-telling of the stories, left out important friends and/or spelled your name incorrectly!!***

No comments:

Post a Comment