1. ultimate frisbee
2. frisbee golf
3. NFL
4. NBA
5. Sunday Ball
6. Dallas Cowboys (Russ hates the Redskins even though he's from VA)!
7. Dallas Cowboys
8. Dallas Cowboys
9. Dallas Cowboys
10. college sports, especially the ones where UVA has above-average teams (like football and basketball). He especially LOVES watching UVA beat Virginia Tech every year...oh wait, that hasn't happened in a while and Russ is quite disappointed in his Cavalliers.
11. Did I mention, Dallas Cowboys?
So, our West Coast friends are probably wondering, what in the world is ultimate frisbee and frisbee golf? I too wondered the same thing when Russ told me how much he loved these two games. It must be a East Coast thing...
Ultimate frisbee is like football, but with a frisbee. You kind of throw the frisbee around until you get it into the goal area. But frisbee golf is like miniature golf, but with a frisbee. It doesn't make any sense to me, but if you have an interest in these two frisbee sports, then you should talk to Russ about it. If you invite him to play, he will be there!
Anyway, in our first or second year of dating, right around when NFL was starting, Russ sent me an interesting "warning" email. It basically said, "WARNING! FOOTBALL SEASON IS STARTING. I may be preoccupied with watching sports ALL DAY LONG on Sundays and Monday evenings!" It went on to tell me that I shouldn't get upset that he was spending so much time watching TV and totally ignoring me. He also told me that he's heavily involved in four different fantasy football leagues and that he might have to spend a large part of Saturday evenings checking out football stats and setting his line-up. If this is a foreign language to you, not to worry! It was to me too!
So, of course, I'm wondering, "Who is this guy who sends me a warning to not get pissed at him when he spends his entire day watching sports? And what in the world is fantasy football???" Russ tried to explain fantasy football ("FF") to me, but it just didn't make any sense, especially since I couldn't actually participate in it. And then we came up with THE MOST brilliant idea ever! We would start a Powder Puff Fantasy Football League for me and all our newbie friends!!!
That was THE BEST idea ever! Our first year, we got Kei, Ronson, Audrey and some other friends to join. Audrey totally destroyed us. Our second year, we got ultra-competitive (probably b/c of me) and we had other people join and had soooo much fun! We even try to have Sunday football watching nights where we either potluck or I make food for everyone. We've been doing it for a few years now and we all love it, in spite of our ultra-competitiveness! Audrey and I will usually start getting on Russ' case to set up the FF league in August; we have our draft in September and then it's football season! Now, when I'm at work, Russ and I will spend Sundays watching football. hehehe.
Anyway, back to the random sports facts...Russ was introduced to "Sunday Ball" by Hieu Ho. He's been playing basketball every Sunday since then. I think it's been like 6 years now, but I'm not entirely sure b/c this pre-dates the Jeanne and Russ era. As the Sunday Ballers age, they've become more sophisticated. They used to play outside, in the heat and would get all dark from the sun. And now, they each fork over some $$ to play at an indoor gym! I used to go watch them every Sunday, until they started playing indoors. It's small in there and I have no place to sit. Generally, Russ comes home w/ bruises or scratches all over him. I get the feeling that they're kind of rough! ;) I'm thinking of actually banning bball for a few weeks leading up to the wedding so that Russ won't have scratches in our wedding photos!
Here's some pics of some of those Sunday Ballers:
Norm, Kei, Russ, Mike, Ronson
Kei and Russ
Russ & Ronson
Benji, Norm, Darian, Ronson, Mike & Kei:
Here's the best part about Sunday Ball...when Russ and I first started dating, I realized that he played Sunday Ball with my friend, Alex Tang! Of course the lawyer in me HAD to investigate and figure out if Russ was a "good boy" or not. I called up Alex and asked him about Russ. Alex didn't know Russ too well, but he said, "Russ plays ball like Rip Hamilton. He seems nice. I don't talk to them much." I still made Alex do some investigative work for me though. ;) I also ran a Lexis public records search on Russ as well as a Google search. You would not believe the things you can find on ppl through Lexis or Google! Don't worry; nothing on Russ! hehe.
The Cowboys. Russ loves them! He inherited this love from his dad who went to undergrad in TX. Interestingly, the Cowboys have a "cross-town" rivalry with the Redskins and Russ and his dad are probably the only Virginians who root for the Cowboys! Too bad for Russ that the Cowboys are currently being led by Tony Romo, who happens to be quite hot, but is unpredictable in his quarterbacking skills! ;) Or it could just be the Cowboys are unpredictable... We'll see how they do this season! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment